Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Tiny Little Baby... A Precious Life

It was 13 years ago. One of my best friends in high school had gone through with it.  I called that morning to check on her, and I literally fell to my knees as her mother said, 'She can't come to the phone. She is resting from the procedure." I got off the phone and cried for most of the day.  I had begged her to give me her unborn baby.  I had promised her I would be by her side the whole time.  My heart was broken.  The tragedy of abortion hit me square in the face.  It was no longer a far off tragedy. It was personal.  It had effected my dear friend and her future generations.

This past Sunday was sanctity of life Sunday here in America, and while I sat in church on Sunday morning and listened to the facts about this destroyer of life that is legal in our country, I felt my precious little one moving around inside of me.  I fought back tears, and I literally felt sick to my stomach. I couldn't imagine not giving this precious baby boy the chance at life.  Last week, I went in for an ultrasound of my little man.  I saw his eyes, his nose, his fingers and little toes. Along with my ultrasound technician, I praised the Father over the miracle that is this little one.  His little heart beat strongly as I strained to see into his world, his safe haven.  He is alive, moving, active, growing, and I will do everything to care for him and protect him for as long as his heart beats.  He is being intricately woven together, created in the image of God.  He is precious and loved by his creator. 



My five and three year old understand that there is a living baby inside mommy and that they have to be careful not to hurt him. They understand that mommy has to be careful with what she does because she wants to take care of this little one God has given us, and yet some of the most educated people in the world would have us believe that if I wanted to harm him, to stop his heart, it would be ok because he is living in my body. Over 50 million little lives have been killed in the U.S. alone because many women have given into the lie that they are more important than the baby inside their womb.  

To those women, including my friend from high school, you are precious and loved in the eyes of your Creator. There is grace and forgiveness through the blood of Jesus. He longs to be your comforter as you face the pains of your decision.  He is holding your little one safely in His arms. Put your trust in Him. Give Him your life and He will give you beauty for your ashes of mourning.

America, you are my beloved country, but we have walked down a path for 40 years that is wrong and against the One who endows us with those very inalienable rights that we cling to so fiercely and that we use to excuse this tragedy.  We must turn our face back toward Him in humble submission. We must stop killing His little creations who have never gotten the chance to take their first breath.  
Look at that face and tell me you aren't willing to do whatever it takes to keep it safe.


For more on this topic, here are some fantastic links: 
I rest my own motherly grief in the grace of Christ who holds my worshiping little Victoria Elise who would be 22 years old now.  How great a grace of a savior that lets a woman who added to the number of the 55 million be a part of saving hundreds!  
http://firstchoicepregnancysolutions.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-can-you-do-on-day-marking-40-years.html 

"Many simply say it is the lesser of two evils. I took an abortionist out to lunch once, prepared to give him ten reasons why the unborn are human beings. He stopped me, and said, “I know that. We are killing children.” I was stunned. He said, “It’s simply a matter of justice for women. It would be a greater evil to deny women the equal right of reproductive freedom.” Which means women should be no more encumbered by the consequences of an unplanned pregnancy than men. That equal freedom from the burden of bearing unwanted children is the basis for abortion that President Obama refers to again and again when he talks about equal rights for women. We know we are killing children."
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/we-know-they-are-killing-children-all-of-us-know 

"But the “personhood” debate is looking more and more like an irrelevant discussion. As an example, take Merle Hoffman, a key figure for the pro-choice movement, who founded one of the first abortions clinics even prior to 1973. She notes that most people who get abortions acknowledge that the fetus is a tiny human life, with fingers and toes and a heartbeat. But that fact was outweighed by their decision: “They knew [the fetus was a human life], but my patients who made the choice to have an abortion also knew they were making the right one, a decision so vital it was worth stopping that heart.”


   -----Spence Shelton at http://www.jdgreear.com

And even a free book by John Piper on the topic: Exposing the Dark Work of Abortion

5 comments:

Matt and Lindsey said...

we saw our little boy on ultrasound today too! i am stunned by the grace of a Father that would bless us with life a third time & equally stunned in my attempts to understand those who would refuse to admit that life is there, or worse, is of no importance. your post is beautifully said & i loved that article from desiring god. i read it today & tried to really internalize it for future discussions. miss you guys & hope all is well on your sabbatical!
~lindsey

Anonymous said...

Very well said. I'm using this in my ESL class today. We are studying the Bill of Rights! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Previous comment from Patricia Borden in Amarillo, Texas

Faye Creech said...

Wonderful post and thanks for the links! Hope to get to see you guys soon! Call me or email me to let me know when you guys have some "free" time.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.