Mandy and I were relaxing at the end of the day and we heard the sound of honking horns and throngs of people and we knew what was going on. In Macedonia, you are only allowed to campaign 20 days before the election … can you imagine that in the US!!! So needless to say when we hit the 20-day countdown there is a barrage of campaigning. A couple of days ago, we heard drums, dancing, horns honking, singing, and cheers (we have a video which I am working on getting up here). We did have a couple nights of silence, but this night they were at it again and we stepped out onto our balcony to see a crowd of people moving towards town center. We decided to see what
was going on and headed to the center to find a platform where two speakers gave their speeches. Naturally, we do not get involved in politics so we kept our distance, but we did get to be spectators... and of course I brought the wrong lens for the occasion. Apparently the two parties distinguish themselves between red and orange. Politics is VERY big here which is why we have to be careful, but we will have to learn for what each of them stand. I imagine it will be hard to avoid until the elections on July 5th. Fortunately we will be in Poland for AGM the last week of June so at least we will be able to sleep undisrupted for that week!***UPDATE June 18, 2006***
I learned from the guy who came to give us our internet that orange is just what people wear around election time. He kind of shook his head at it and made it sound like they are fans at a game. However there are two politcal parties and Red and white/blackis the color of one and Blue and something else is the color of the other.

No comments:
Post a Comment