Monday, May 18, 2009

Another Day in Another Village

We recently went with our friends, to her home village about 3 hours away from Ohrid. We had a good time, and boy was it interesting. The time with this family was great and our relationship is continuing to grow. We were their for the villages Saint George Day celebration. They had a concert until about 3:00am and Kate was trying to sleep 100 yards from the speakers. It didn't go over that well :). Anyway, here are some pictures:
Her family is a family of farmers. They grow LOADS of cucumbers, tomatoes, and watermelons and sell them throughout all of Macedonia. Here is one of the ginormous green houses, it was about 120 yards by 80 yards. This is the biggest one, but by far only a small percentage of the crop.

We were there on a holiday and the music literally never stopped. They played ALL night long.

This is a picture of their cucumber plants.

I ate a lot of cucumbers. I guess, even though I am through my first trimester, some food aversions just aren't going away--like, for instance, the lamb we ate after they 'sacrificed' it in their front yard and then said, "Oh, don't worry. He was sick." Um, can we say lamb flu? I did try a bite, but couldn't bear to eat it. It was ok, cause I ate their cucumbers like bananas the whole day. Brian did eat quite a bit of the sacrificed lamb and I am happy to say we have seen no signs of the lamb flu. PTL!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Spence is trying to grow cucumbers, but I don't think he will reach their acheivement. :-)

Anonymous said...

Lamb Flu???? The CDC here in the states would probably find that one interesting.

Love you, MOM/Baba