I am a people watcher. I could sit for hours at an airport and watch people go about their business assuming that no one sees them. Well, world travelers, I see you. I have noticed, observed, learned, and/or enjoyed quite a few things on my journey to the states thus far. Here are just a few
- The fact that even though the lady just came on the intercom and said our flight would be delayed an hour, didn’t change the fact that everyone wanted to crowd around the check-in desk just so they could get on the plane first. This is something I don’t think I will ever understand. Someone enlighten me. What am I missing out on by waiting like a civilized person? Is there a band, balloons, or free chocolates waiting on the other side of the check-in desk as a reward to those who risked life and limb (theirs and those belonging to other passengers) to get through the gate first? Sit down people!!!
- The passengers (mostly Eastern Europeans) who believe that if a breeze hits you, you will shrivel up and die are donning coats with hoods and putting blankets over their heads while dodging the unadjustable air conditioner with all their might. Bless.
- American customer service is THE BOMB!!! The customer is always right, always gets what they want and it is always followed by a smile and a “what else can I do for you.” Do NOT take this for granted my fellow citizens. (But also don’t go to other countries expecting it. It just ain’t gonna happen.)
- Americans are very smiley people. Where did we learn this? Kindergarten? This was written before I got into JFK airport. I don’t think anyone there smiles.
- There is a man sporting a lovely mint green surgeon’s mask on the airplane. Not a bad idea. My only attempt to seal out germs is with my scarf around my face. I’m not thinking it is as effective.
- Showing Captain America on the plane to America on an American Airlines flight puts the signal out to all those thinking of doing us harm, “Don’t mess with us. We will take you out.”
- A very small person must have designed airplane seats.
- Everyone around me brought their bedroom shoes to wear on the plane. Is that normal? I don’t think I have ever seen that before.
- Traveling can be very straining on relationships. I have over heard at least 4 fights today. (That’s right. I am listening too.) Although, the two adolescent girls in front of me have only seemed to grow closer as we have progressed in our flight. They stared out the window together with wide eyes during our ascent. Then they giggled at all the nifty gadgets they have in their hermetically sealed bag of airplane goodies. That’s right, they shrilled with glee at the pillow, blanket and headphones they had in their seat. A trip to the bathroom also brought on bright eyes and laughter. I am sure it had to do with the fact that they felt like they had stared death in the face and survived. They seemed to enjoy their butter sauce with pasta and spinach (?) more than anyone else on the plane. Now they are cuddled together sleeping. I may have some lessons to learn from them
- The poor man behind me really wanted “wodka” (vodka). Bless him. He couldn’t understand that the lady was telling him it would cost him $10 and they only accept major credit cards. With every sentence she uttered, he just kept saying, “Wodka. Wodka. Wodka.” She gave up and walked away. He went without a drink.
- Smoking in the bathroom? Really? Are we in high school again? Buy some nicotine gum. Get a patch. Kick the habit. For goodness’ sake, put down the toxic stick and respect the no smoking sign.
- JFK bathrooms almost make the airplane bathrooms look good. Bleh!
- There are A LOT of people living here who don’t speak a word of English.
The trip was great --interesting to say the least. There is so much more I could post here, but I will leave it at that. For now I am now cozy warm in the bed I grew up sharing with my sister. Bliss. Just remember, I'm watching. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment