Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Mask

No, this is not a picture of an overcast day. This is smoke--the cause of the black lung-- that has descended on our city in full force. And gross. Just so gross! We are all coughing, with scratchy throats and itchy eyes.  The hard working farmers are all burning off their rice fields, and all of the smoke is sitting in the bowl of our city. So on this try something new Tuesday, we decided that because it literally hurts to breath, we would do as the locals do and get our very own masks to shield us from some of the fumes. 
And now we are all ready to venture outside into the never-ending fire-pit in hopes that we won't get the black lung. And would you just look at Little Doogie Howser 1, 2 and 3. Are they not the cutest?!  I'm thinking Isaiah's mask won't do much in the way of protection since it hangs off his little face, but man, he looks cute. We may just have to cover his whole face with a bandana like this fella' did.
He's covered from head to toe.

And I guarantee he is smiling while I shoot this picture of him. :)

We hear this will go on for a few weeks and will get worse before it gets better.  I can't even... Worse!? But God promised that when I walked through the fire He would be with me. And even though Kate loves her mask, we probably won't go as far as wearing it all over town. But we're braving the fire--the 100 degree temps and the smoke.  And praying that the sick and weak feeling from constantly breathing in carbon monoxide will end soon.  

2 comments:

Mischia said...

I love your words and your pictures! Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

I live near your Mom and Dad at South Mountain Camp.

Not sure where you live but we are good friends with Kim and Mark who live North in your country.

i know the rains have started so hopefully you can breathe without difficulty and enjoy your new home.

Brian, Mandy, Kate, Thomas, and Isaiah said...

Mischia, thanks so much. I enjoy writing. I don't know Kim and Mark, but maybe I will meet them at the annual meetings this year. Thanks for writing. Give my momma a hug for me. ;)