Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Last Day of School

Bulgarian school has come to an end for the year. We made it! It was a great year--far better than we expected, and while there were some hard days, we watched as God provided amazing and patient teachers, the Bulgarian language, and friends for our kids. We have so much to be thankful for. 
Kate finished her 3rd grade year in the top 6 of her class. She had all 5s and 6s which are the highest marks here. I'm not one to brag on my children (well, maybe I am), but I couldn't be prouder of her. I am seriously amazed at all she accomplished this year. Passing science tests and mastering math word problems in a new language like it was nothing. And she finished 3rd grade with a couple of close friends. Again, we give God all the glory for this. We asked. He answered. He gives good gifts. He is faithful!

And Thomas... Well, he's definitely learned some Bulgarian and made lots of friends. 
He had a little end of the year program where he got to sing all the new songs he had learned through the year. 

And then they had a dance party. HA! 

We're super proud of him. He hung in there and continued to push through some language barriers, made some friends and shook his groove thing every day in class (according to his teacher). He cracks me up. We will be spending time this summer trying to make sure he continues to learn Bulgarian. We're praying he will soon be fluent in this language. 

As for Isaiah, he just wants to go to preschool. We are on the hunt for a good school for him for the fall. The public preschools are beyond full so we are looking for a private one even though those can be pretty pricey. He wants to learn Bulgarian too. Can you tell from that face?

But he's still pretty happy as long as there is a golf club or light saber in his hand. 

Kate is still doing gymnastics. We never get to go in the gym to see her practice, but this day, her coach made an exception and let us come in for a few minutes. She is doing great and loving it. 

So cute.  

God continues to provide for our family here in so many ways: giving us things that we enjoy, friends, language, laughter (language and laughter often go together), and so much more. We are so thankful to Him for every good gift. Thanks for praying with us for the kids and school. And now, to enjoy summer!

2 comments:

Ciocia Frania said...

Heeeeeeeeey Brian, Since you are way over there, and we are over here - except some of us are up here and some of us are down there - I don't know if you know what the rest of us know. Do you? Well, if you don't, I'm gonna tell you. Your cousin Craigypooh is going to get married.

You see, first Glenn got married. He's the oldest. Then Mockabok. Then you. You have the most kids you know - Kate, Thomas and Isaiah. And now Craigypooh in July. Joann was born in July you know. July 1940. I remember like it was yesterday. Except it wasn't. It was a loooong time ago. I don't know how many years ago, I'm no good at math no more. But I was very good in math when I was a little girl. I got all good marks in math. And reading. Any-who, all of Gramma's boys will now be married. Except Kevin. He's not married. We aren't sure if he ever will. But that's okay. He lives in an apartment and writes books about stuff. I'm going to buy a book and read it. But I need to use Craig's who-z-what-itz to buy it - I don't have one. So Craig buys it for me. I will like the book because I looooooove everything you boys do. Maybe I buy one for Helen Doviacs too. I see her at seniors every day. The bus picks us up.

When Craig gets married, you come here and stay by Glenn. I didn't ask him but it's okay, that's what family do. Momma and Dadda too. I didn't go to your wedding, it was toooooo far. But I go to Craig's. I hope he has dessert like Glenn's. When they opened the door for dessert, I hadn't run like that since I was a little girl. Stan Partyka used to own the candy store on the corner over there on Anderson and Mercer and I would run there every day after school. That candy rotted all my teeth so I don't eat candy no more.

Okay, now when you come here from Macaronia we all get together like we used to way back when. Then we go Rutt's Hut. Craig knows how to get there. Then we go to Craig's wedding. I am going to make him and Alison an Afghan as a present. I make it yellow and blue. Maybe I get them a frying pan too. Everyone needs one of those. You get him something from Macaronia. You know, something that someone gets for somebody when someone there gets married. He will love it.

Okay. Send my love to Mandy and Kate and Thomas and Isaiah. Toodaloo for now.

xoxo,
Ciocia Frania

Ciocia Frania said...

Hey Brian, I hope you are getting ready for Craig's wedding like I am. Now, I don't wear dresses no more, so I'll wear slacks and a blouse and a fancy handkerchief Jenny from Poland got me, cause I get cold with air conditioning. I don't wear fancy shoes no more cause the bunion on my foot. The bunion goes this way, the big toe goes that way and all the other toes go the other way. So I wear shoes I buy at the '5 and 10' with senior discount - the man drives us there once a week. My left foot is size 8 and my bunion foot is a size 9 so I buy size 9 and stuff tissue in the left shoe. I don't mind. Brian, just make sure you have shiny shoes, cause everybody likes shiny shoes. My boss at the factory did not shine his shoes and boy-oh-boy did everyone notice.

I haven't danced in a long time since I broke my hip. But at Craig's wedding I dance one time with you, one time with Craig, one time with Kevin, and one time with Gennypooh. But not Mark. He's not the dance type. I dance the polka with my cane. Just like I did at momma's wedding back in 1970-somethin' except I didn't have a cane back then cause I broke my hip in 1980-somethin'. I danced so much at momma's wedding with Uncle Joe - but he's on the other side of the sunset now. Uncle Joe is Grandpa Andy's brother you know. Any-who I danced with Uncle Joe and ate Janet's watermelon she made with Sergie's homemade potato vodka. I think your dad had toooooo much of that, your momma was not too happy with him. But that was then and this is now.

So Craig and Allison are going to Hawaii for their honeymoon fancy style on a boat. I saw pictures of Hawaii in a magazine, it looks soooo niiiiice. I have never been there cause I don't like to fly you know. And you can't get there by Greyhound. Brian, tell Craig there's a volcano there and not to get too close. Tell him also to bring me a piece of volcano rock. Then I will put it next to the sand you got me from Tahiti. Then I have Tahiti and Hawaii in my house in Wallington. All I have to do now is close my eyes and pretend like I am there like I saw in the magazine and that movie I watched that one time with that actor from the Kung-Fo show.


Say hello to Mandy and Kate and Thomas and Isaiah for me. Toodaloo for now.


-Ciocia Frania