I love the "I am with yous" of scripture. Over and over again, the Lord tells us, do not fear. Do not be dismayed. Do not worry or be anxious for anything. And what remedy does He give us for our fears and worries. He gives us his very self.
In Joshua 1:9, probably one of the most quoted and framed verses of the Bible, God tells Joshua, who has just become the new leader of the Israelites following Moses' death,
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
I've always loved this verse, and I love the repetition of it, from Deuteronomy 31:23 when Joshua is commissioned, God tells him these same words, "Be strong and courageous.... I will be with you." And then in the first chapter of Joshua, when he finally steps into this gigantic role for which is had already been commissioned, this phrase repeats itself in some way 3 times. "Be strong and courageous. I will be with you." In His mercy, God keeps reminding Joshua of what he needed to hear.
When our nervous Kate was 4 years old and we would walk her to Macedonian preschool, this is one of the many verses that we would talk through with her. Kate what does Joshua 1:9 say, and she would respond. "'Don't be scared or afraid. Be strong and brave. I am with you,' says the Lord."
Yes. The remedy for our 4 years old's fears of walking into preschool without mom and dad was that she didn't go alone. God went with her. The remedy for my fear at every move, every new city, every new language, every new event where I had to speak in front of a crowd, every time this shy girl goes out to do evangelism among strangers is His presence. I am scared. I am afraid. What will happen? I don't always know what the exact outcome will be. The only thing I do know is the promise I have that God is with me. He is close by. Closer than close, even. He is with me, IN me, empowering me by His Holy Spirit to take one step of faith as a time. Psalm 16 says that "in His presence is fullness of joy." So not only do we have nothing to fear, not only do we go with the company of the almighty God, but we go in the joy of His presence.
Looking back over these years, I am confident, that I have never walked alone. He has always been by my side, being my strength, my very breath, my everything. He will remain close by, of that I am sure.
May He be glorified as we strive to continue following Him in every moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment