Zdravo All!
This last week has been incredible. God has been so good, and He has been very near to us as we have struggled with the beginnings of a new job, new language, and new home. His strength and grace have been sufficient as they always are and we give Him all the glory for sustaining us. Ohrid is amazing. It has a very ancient old world feel with a modern worldview hanging over it. The people are incredibly nice. Most are very willing to help us with our language and are very patient with us as we say our five sentences. There is a great blessing in knowing English though... the vast majority of music is in English, and I caught myself listening to 'Gangsta's Paradise' visiting in someone's home yesterday. And then, as we struggled to listen for words of recognition in the conversation, we heard 'I'm a Survivor' playing in the background. Brian and I looked at one another and spewed out a few words and then realized we were in the company of other people. :)
Our last week consisted of attempting to make Ohrid our new home, starting language school and getting to know our area. We have two language tutors who come for two hours five days a week. They are very sweet, and we are getting to know the rest of their family as well.
We spent one night with one of the tutors and her mom. They took us for our first trip to one of the many cafes. Before the cafe, we went by several other shops to meet some other family members. The cafe was great. They suggested that we order toplo chocolatto... hot chocoloate... but this hot chocolate is none like you have ever tasted. Its like hot pudding served in a glass with a spoon. Its amazing. The chocolate is incredible here, and I think a small addiction might be just under the surface. ;)
Please pray for us as we make Ohrid our home. Pray that we will have boldness to speak in spite of the barrier of language. Pray that we will have patience in learning this language, and that God will give us a deep love for the people around us as we learn.
We believe He is going to do exceedingly abundantly more than we could ever hope or imagine.
We love you all, and we thank God for you!!!
7 comments:
The pictures are incredible. what a beautiful country! I am thrilled for you that they have great chocolate-could not happen to better people!
Ash
Hey Mandy and Brian,
I got the pics and I kept saying, "wow!" I can't believe you're finally over there and getting settled in. It seems like just yesterday I was at your wedding. I pray for you daily and can't imagine how exciting this must be for you guys. I'm doing well. In PT school in Johnson City, TN (where I used to live before Locust) and I'm getting married (Finally!) on New Year's Eve 2006 (less than 10 months). Keep in touch! Love to you both!
Katie Face
Hello to you, Brian & Mandy!
The pictures were fantastic, and we thank you for sharing! They helped us feel a little more at ease "seeing" you were not pitching a tent in the middle of a jungle somewhere! You both continue to amaze us with your devotion to the cause of Christ! We are so honored to know you and in small ways (especially in comparison to what you are doing) support you in this great calling! We love you and are praying for you!
Merhaba Brian, This is your Ciocia Frania. 'Merhaba' is Turkish for 'hello'. I think you are located close to Turkey, so people must say that over there. Speaking of turkey, it is springtime here and all the birds are flying north - sparrows, robins, and geese (but no turkeys). Well the geese - they never left - I feed them all year around. Good fertilizer for the lawn you know. I talk to the geese and each goose is different and has its own personality, so I give then each a name. I like Carl, he is funny. Sam is not too friendly but I feed him anyhow. Fanny is the best flyer, so I wrote you a letter to you and tied it to her leg, but she only made it to end of Maple Street before she got tired and had to turn around. Maybe next time. Your dad doesn't like the geese too much, but he'll come around one day.
Speaking of coming around, my leg was stiff all winter. Instead of going like this and that, it goes around and around. Sometimes when it gets going, I cannot stop it...kind of like a helicopter. But in the spring it thaws out and I can get it to go this way and that way, but it is squeaky. Speaking of squeaky, your cousin Craig came and fixed my door the other day. Nothing was really wrong with it, it was just the cat's toy stuck down there. I told Munchie not to leave her toy there again. Munchie is Polish you know. For the longest time I talked to her in english and she wouldn't listen. But then I talked to her in Polish and she listened. In fact she now prefers to be called Bagusha, but I still call her Munchie. No wonder she doesn't listen anymore.
I think I will take Munchie for a springtime ride in the car. She doesn't like the car because I take her to vet in it. I got a ticket the other day for running a red light. I told the officer no cars were coming so I went through (I had to use the potty) but he gave me a ticket anyhow, and said something about a man. I said 'what man'. Anyhow, the next day a big dent in my hood - looks like some man must have run into it while it was parked there - now cousin Michael is going to fix it.
Say merhaba to Mandy for me. I saw the pictures, "HOW NICE"! Keep sending them. To-da-loo for now. CCF (Ciocia Frania)
Hey you two,
I am sorry that I haven't written any earlier. I just read your blog for the first time this morning. It is amazing what you two have done already. WHOAH! We will be praying for you two. I will tell Kate about you guys! :)
Brooke
We looked up Ohrid on the map (you know us homeschoolers look for any excuse to get the children to learn!). It looks like it's mountaineous and we look forward to hearing more about the location and most of all the opportunities that He will open up for you! Take care!
Hello Brian & Mandy. I hope all is well in Macedonia. Everyone is doing fine in New Jersey. Keep up the good pictures
Post a Comment