This week, we have been celebrating Christmas Macedonian style. Their Christmas falls on the 7th and doesn't involve Santa (he comes on New Years), and is really more "religious" than our Christmas. There is a lot of visiting to be done this week. You basically go see everyone you know and drink coffee and eat kifli (yummy bread), ham and cheese and pacha, a gel with pig leg cartilage, joints and bone in it (yep, it's about as good as it sounds). I have been forced to eat it in the past, but praise the Lord, no one has forced it on me this year. On Christmas day, K, M and I went over to A and L's house to visit for a little while. We ended up dancing the oro with their neighbor, and her two cousins.
The older lady, leading the dance, made a comment about the how she was old. The girl beside me responded, "You're old, but quality." I thought that was cute. We had a blast, and I am happy to report that our relationship with them, their neighbors and their whole family is growing.
We have been in homes pretty much non-stop for three days now. Fun times.
1 comment:
Sounds like fun (except for the pacha which is almost gagging across these many miles :) !) I like that saying, too "Old but Quality" - I'll have to learn it in the original language "Stara Ama Kavalitetna??" so I can use it on my hubby and friends :) (D is all of 6 weeks older than me!)
Take care - give Kate big hugs, too.
-Faye
Post a Comment