As I look toward the year ahead (the last one in my twenties), I can't help but look back. The last year, I feel like the Lord has been teaching me a new lesson about fear. Fear is a thing with which I struggle. Fear, worry, anxiety, 'concern'-- call it what you will--it is the worst of my enemies. I know. There is scripture after scripture about fear. "Do not fear" appears more than any other phrase in the Bible, and I know that. I know it's irrational to worry about things that may or may not happen, but I constantly catch myself having to take thoughts captive to obey Christ (2 Co. 10:5). I worry or fear things ranging from my kids getting sick and not being able to get them to a good doctor in time to whether or not people are pleased with me (Gal. 1:10). It's ridiculous really. In His sovereign precious grace, my loving Father has taught me two key things about fear this past year from his Word.
1. Fear begins with forgetfulness. When we forget that Our God is the God of all gods, when we forget that He created us and all we see around us, when we forget that He sustains us and by Him all things hold together, when we forget that He is good and wise and kind and compassionate, when we forget that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to call us out of darkness and save our lives from death, when we forget how much He loves us, that's when fear starts to set in. I so often forget all that the Lord has brought me through. He has brought me through minimal things (that seemed huge at the moment) and huge things that I look back and say, 'whoa, I probably should have made a bigger deal out of that--2 open heart surgeries, for instance. I have heard a doctor say, "It's a miracle you are alive young lady." And I rested in the fact that I know personally the Maker of Miracles. I have seen Him take care of my daily needs and the daily needs of my children. I have watched as He has taken care of my friends and family in amazing, miraculous ways. I have watched as He has made people His children whom I thought would never ever come to know Him. And yet, sometimes I still forget. I forget He sustained me in a time in my life when I literally should have died. I forget He went to great lengths--death--to save my life for all eternity. He is my salvation, what have I to fear?!
Over the past year, I have worked my way through 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, Nehemiah, Ezra, Haggai, Zephaniah, Zechariah, and Exodus and almost every time you see the Israelites get ready to do something stupid (like build an altar to a man-made god), there it is is, the word "fear," and often times the word "forget" is close by.
"You shall not fear other gods and you shall not forget the covenant I have made with you... but you shall fear the Lord your God and HE will deliver you out of the hand of all of your enemies." 2 Kings 17:37b-39
Forgetfulness leads to fear which leads to idolatry and/or other sins. "Fear not, stand firm and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will work for you today. He will fight for you today. You have only to be silent." Exodus 14:13-14
2. Love and Fear cannot coexist. The second key thing I feel like He taught me about fear this year is that where there is love, perfect love, there can be no fear. The two things cannot coexist.
"Perfect love casts out fear." 1 John 4:18
When I am resting in Him, abiding in Him, remaining in Him, there can be no fear. He is love--perfect love (1 John 4:7). This is huge! My tremendous (though imperfect) love for my children makes them feel safe. When they are scared at night and need me to lay in bed with them for a while or end up crawling in bed with me, they no longer fear anything. They are beside mommy and daddy the ones they know love them and protect them day in and day out. They only need to be near us and there is immediate rest. How much more does God love us?! When we crawl up next to Him, there can be no fear. In that place, in His presence, there is rest, joy, peace, comfort, LOVE. There is no room for fear of man or fear of pain or fear of sicknesses. He casts out all my fear when I chose to abide in Him. "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Abide in my love.... These things I have spoken to you that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be full." John 15:9 & 11.
Ah! I LOVE the Word of God. I love my Father, the Great I Am. I am so grateful for what He taught me last year, and I look forward to not only living the truths of His word and letting His perfect love cast out my fear, but I also look forward to building on what He has taught me. And so for this year, I am resting, O Father, in you."When I am weak, unable to speak,
Still I will call you by name,
O Shepherd, Savior, Pasture Maker,
Hold on to my hand
And You say, 'I Am.'"
"Creator, Maker, Life Sustainer,
Comforter, Healer, My Redeemer,
Lord and King,
Beginning and the End.
I AM."
1 comment:
Dear Mandy,
James and I are away at Yellowstone National Park for a few days enjoying the beautiful snow. We are again riding snowmobiles for the past two days (cautiously, I might add after my incident a couple of years ago.) I have rode through only a tiny part of God's creation, but I marveled at His greatness.
I woke up early and thought I would catch up on a few things. I ran across your blog update and I found myself being thankful for the young lady you are becoming.....as we all continue to learn right along with you. (You are precious....I'm not sure how God can make a lovely person even more beautiful, but He obviously does!)
Thank you for being you and letting God use you! I love you!
Post a Comment