Bless.
So, her first haircut should've been a monumental thing with photographers and fireworks and all kinds of pomp and circumstance. But ya'll, I was just terrified they were going to cut her back to bald, which wouldn't have taken much. So, no. I didn't take a single picture as I was busy guarding her five pieces of hair. Thomas' first 5 haircuts, before Kate's first, caused us to downplay them as much as possible. Poor Kate wanted to be Rapunzel. She wanted bows that weren't pasted to her head, and the girl wanted to get her hair did. (And this momma wanted people to stop making comments about her lack of hair in front of her. She can understand you people! Ugh!) So we downplayed the cutting of Thomas' fast growing mop. And now, nearing her 7th year, she has had... wait for it... TWO! Count 'em! TWO haircuts! What! What! She can wear beautiful bows without paste, and some days her hair even cooperates enough for a ponytail. Her littlest brother, with hair as white as hers and as full as Thomas', got his first haircut last week. He screamed through the whole thing but his two pro-haircut-getter siblings stood by him in support, for a little while anyway.
The sweet old man did the best he could with a squirmy, sca-reaming baby.
We started with a beautiful purple cover, but Isaiah wasn't having it. Perhaps, the purple just wasn't macho enough for him. Thomas and Kate quickly lost interest and became involved in their own needs and wants. "I'm hungry. I'm thirsty. I want ice cream. You said we could have ice cream. I want it now. When can we go home? I want to go home. Isn't this life all about me?" all while Isaiah continued to scream. Deep breaths everyone cause we are on display. This guy from "the cousin faith" is watching, listening. This guy needs to see a picture of love and grace, and so. do. my. children...
Brian's barber did a great job. He has now met the whole family and seen us at our worst. Oy. And so we have a leg to stand on when we talk about being saved from our sin nature, and maybe he will begin to yield a listening ear to all that Brian has been telling him about Jesus, the Lord of all who doesn't ask us for perfection. He knows we can't do it. He just asks us to trust in his finished work, his grace that saves to the uttermost--even stressful haircut days with whiney uncooperative children. Yep, even there.
Look at that little stud and his new doo.
His first haircut will go down in history as yet another lesson that my kids can go from sweet and supportive to flat-out mad-crazy selfish beasts in less than half a second and that I seriously need to work on a patient tone of voice that doesn't sound like something from "The Walking Dead." And well, of course the day isn't a complete loss, cause we learned even more about grace. Ha. Bless us all.




No comments:
Post a Comment