Friday, November 07, 2014

Friday Favs

It's been a little heavy around here the last few days. So I thought I would lighten it up a little with some thanks. God has given us SO much to be thankful for. He has given us a love for this place, this people--their culture and their food, and we are blessed beyond measure! Our cup overflows with the fact that He is God! He is good! And He gives good gifts to His children!

"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad, then I remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad." 

So without further ado, a few of our favorite things:

This girl on a daddy-date drinking salep. 
Salep is a magical drink that we just can't get enough of. YUM!  

How this little mister LOVES his big sister!  My fav!

Мекица (mekitza)!!! 
It's fried dough, kind of like an elephant ear, except these are salty. Our whole family loves them! (We won't talk about the amount of grease that drips off of them.)


Рибна Чорба
Fish soup! The kids and I love fish soup. It is SO yummy, and it is a specialty around here.  Massive chunks of fresh fish in a creamy, yummy broth served with garlic sauce and lemon. Yum! Yum! Yum! Macedonians eat it for a late breakfast, and we love to join them for a big bowl when we can!

Rides with sweet friends in thirty year old cars where seat belts are non-existent. Every day is an adventure, and we love it! And that little boy? He and his family make the favorite list too!

Walks by the lake with the littles.

My kids playing in God's beautiful creation, the villages of Macedonia, with their precious friends. 

Rolling down big grassy hills.  
I remember doing that as a kid, and I love that my kiddos have had that fun experience. (May I also add, I love bathtubs and soap. :))


Yummy mini doughnuts covered in chocolate sauce and powdered sugar and fresh out of the grease. Magical!

These three loving each other!

Time in the Word by the beautiful still waters.  It just doesn't get better than that!

Flowers growing out of people gates creating a gorgeous path.

The Macedonian Cappuccino topped with massive amounts of whipped cream. We also love that they bring little cups of whipped cream for our kiddos.

Little fruit and veggie markets on every single corner. The produce just doesn't get any more fresh than this. A kilo (that's 2.2 pounds, America) of fresh mandarins for less than 50 cents! Amazing!

Пастрмајлија
Pastrimalja (say that 5xs fast) is another Macedonian specialty that we love. Chunks of meat, chicken, pork, or lamb, with some seasonings baked on top of a yummy piece of bread. We love it!

Another one of my favs is knowing and being able to literally feel you precious people praying for me and my family!  Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! 

No comments: