Monday, June 08, 2015

Every Nation, Tribe and Tongue

One of my favorite things in the whole world is being able to worship with people from all over the world. I have had the immense privilege of being able to worship with many different peoples in many different languages. From Spanish, to Macedonian, different African languages to Thai. It's amazing and beautiful to hear God's people from all over the world singing their songs to him, the one who has saved us and made us His own. Some of my favorite memories have been joining with other believers, my brothers and sisters as we sing old classics like “I Surrender All” and "How Great Thou Art" and newer songs like "Our God is Greater" in their native tongue. There's a magic in the moment. One that can't be explained. But it's power. This is what we were made to do. People from every nation and tribe and tongue gathered together in one voice with one heart declaring the glory of the Lord. It's sweet music to His hears.

I remember the first time I stood in a Macedonian church in the capital city and heard the sounds of praise ring from the lips of Macedonians. I didn't know the words in Macedonian yet. I couldn't sing along. But that didn't stop me from worshipping as I reflected on the goodness of God that spans languages, continents, oceans and even musical preferences. Tears filled my eyes, and I stood silent just taking in the sound of God's children worshipping in their own tongue. Beautiful doesn't begin to describe it. I will never forget that moment.

And the moment that I sat in my living room in the town we served and heard, for the first time, people from that city worshipping their Creator, tears filled my eyes. It was a moment that I had longed for and prayed for. It was powerful. Beautiful. 


Here in this new country where though I might know the tune, I don't understand all the words, I can only sit and listen (and whisper the words in English). And as I listen to about 20 of my Thai brothers and sisters in Christ worship the one who has saved us, my eyes fill with tears. It is powerful. Beautiful. It makes me long for heaven when we together with our Macedonian, Thai, American, Indian, Kenyan, Ugandan, Czech, Bulgarian, Russian, …, brothers and sisters will gather together around the throne of the Lamb in worship. We will all sing the same song in a loud voice as we stand in awe of His greatness and glory. And it will be beautiful. Powerful! 


"And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying, 
“Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” 
Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, 
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain,to receive power and wealth and wisdom and mightand honor and glory and blessing!” 
And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, 
“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!”
And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshiped."
Revelation  5:8-14 ESV





No comments: