Peaches are fuzzy. Apples are waxy. Cantaloupes are rough. Watermelons are hard. But this...
This prickly, spiney fruit looks kind of like a bald man with hair plugs.
Rambutan.
I found it pretty funny that when I googled it, wikipedia informed me that in Malay-Indonesian cultures it is called rambut which means "hair." And in Vietnam it's called chomchom which means "messy hair." See, I wasn't too far off when I compared it to a bald man's hair plugs. Messy hair fruit. Yes!
It's not a fruit I would think anyone would ever even attempt to eat. But here, it is in season and for sell by the truck-load. So we picked some up. It's been a while since we have done an official "try something new." So this looked like it would be a great way to get back into the swing of things. I pulled off on the side of the road and bought a bag full. I probably shouldn't have bought a whole bag full, but for all I knew we may have been on the edge of striking tasty fruity gold.
Kate examined it thoroughly for us, and Brian chopped into it.
The inside is kind of squishy, like a juicy stress ball.
It was after Isaiah shoved the whole squishy middle into his mouth that we realized there is a pit. So we had to sweep it out of his chubby cheeks.
Thomas decided he wasn't a fan. I think the final vote was 5-0, the winning vote deciding that we did not strike fruity delicious gold. Oh well. It really wasn't bad, but for now we're gonna stick with bananas and apples as our go-to fruits. We enjoyed our hairy fruit adventure.
Our try something new endeavors have fallen flat too many times. But maybe next time we will find something we just can't live without. I hear rotee is amazing. We'll see...
1 comment:
Have you tried the mangos there yet? When I was there they were by far my favorite. They were so much sweeter and peach like there than the ones we get here in the States.
Post a Comment