Friday, September 21, 2018

Back to School

The kids are officially back to school here in Sofia. They are all three still attending Bulgarian schools and are doing so great in this environment. We are so thankful that this has been our personal experience. God has been faithful to confirm this step for our family over and over again. 

The first day of school comes with all kinds pomp and circumstance here in Bulgaria. There are loads of flowers as every student in every school brings giant bouquets of flowers to their teachers on the first day. There are balloons, videographers, photographers, the national anthem, the presenting of the school flag, poems, songs, dances, and then the ringing of the bells to signify that the school year has officially started. 


I wish I could say I enjoyed the show, but I couldn't see a thing except this sea of heads. Most of the parents stand in the back and chat. Most of the kids stand closer to the front... and chat. After the ceremony the kids and parents find out what they need for the school year and go home. 
This year Kate started 5th grade which puts her in middle school and I am trying really hard to be ok with it. After the ceremony, she and her friends walked to the mall (by themselves! GULP!) for a lemonade. This is a whole new experience for me and my American mom mindset, but I am trying be cool. (Be cool. Be cool!!!) This week she has met her friends and walked to and from school without me every day. 
PSA: Moms of littles, hold your babies hands while you can! It's true what "they" said. It goes too fast--perhaps faster if you live in the Balkans.


Thomas, our big 3rd grader, has enjoyed getting back into the swing of things as much as any little boy does. He'd rather be kicking or bouncing a ball or swinging from a tree. He has done a great job of staying on top of his homework so far which a vast improvement from last year! Hopefully this will continue.

And Isaiah? He's a would-be-kindergartener-in-America who is still a preschooler in Bulgaria. (Kids don't start elementary school until they are 7 here.) He loves being at home with us and reminds us of this every day before we coerce him to put on his shoes for our walk to school. Once he gets there, he has a blast. We just have to remind him of that every morning. 


As for Brian and I, we are trying to wrap our minds around the new schedule. We walk out the door with Thomas at 7:10. Come home. Get Isaiah dressed. Walk him to school before 9. Get Kate up. Pick Thomas up at 12:20. Pick Isaiah up at 12:30. Kate goes to school at 12:20. She comes home at 6:30. Throw in walking to basketball practice and I am logging well over 3-4 miles a day just in school runs. It's a little nuts. Send caffeine and good walking shoes.

On their first day of Bulgarian school almost two years, I wrote: "We know there will be hard days. Different culture. Different style of learning and discipline. Different. There will be days when different may feel really bad or really scary, but we are trusting that the Lord has led in this and that this is for the good of our whole family and our long term witness here. We will give Him all the glory as we watch Him provide for our every need in every place, every day."


The Lord has truly provided. Language. Friends. Dare I even say, roots. And the different doesn't feel so different anymore. Sure, if we were doing school in the states, all three kids would be in the same school at the same time. But we're not in America, Toto. No use comparing the shades of green on my grass to anyone else's. It is what it is. It is how God has led in our life, and so we choose (some days fight for) contentment. We really are so thankful for how He has led in this for this season. For every day when my daughter comes home and dances around the kitchen while I'm making dinner telling me all about her day and how "awesome" 5th grade is, and when my big boy has classmates who run up to him on the neighborhood playground and want to play, and when my little guy gets to tell me all about his "field trip" to collect chestnuts, for all of this and so much more I am thankful!


No comments: