We just wrapped up a busy Thanksgiving weekend that was so fun.
Last week was tough. I kind of felt like our house was under full assault. I won't go into details because you may decide you don't want to be my friend anymore, but let's just say it was crawling with drama and stress and yuck! In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that big of a deal (though many of my friends affirmed my exasperation), but in the moment, things were a little overwhelming. It was tough to keep my eyes on the Lord and the joy of my salvation and how very much I have to be thankful for. Because, y'all, God has given SO much! So many good gifts. So many things that I don't need or deserve. He is so kind. Thursday morning before all the cooking started and while I was still deciding whether I was strong enough to make the whole meal, get my house back in order, and have guests, the Lord reminded me of His goodness even in this broken and fallen world. He never changes. He is enough. He is faithful. He is my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield in whom I take refuge. He gives the strength to face every new day and every new challenge. His grace is sufficient in every single situation.
It takes a small army to make a Thanksgiving meal, and my kids were excited to be a part of that army. Isaiah had gone shopping with me earlier in the week. He likes to sit in the cart and organize all the groceries as I put them in. I think he had given up on organizing at this point and he decided to just bury himself in frozen fruit and veggies. :)
And then the cooking began.
Thomas helped with the apple tart and homemade caramel sauce.
Kate helped with A LOT! Stuffing, green bean casserole, roasted carrots, and so much more. We had a blast dancing around the kitchen and cooking together.
But most importantly, she helped with the cheesecake. SO YUMMY! We both decided that we need to make this more often. Like at least once a week. :)
Isaiah helped with the pie crusts and then he helped lick the bowls. His pleasure.
Thanksgiving is not a holiday here which means the kids were in school like every other day. So our meal couldn't start until Kate got out of school at 6:30 and our friends were able to get here from work at 7. This gave me more time to get everything done. I'm thankful for that too!
We only had a few Bulgarian friends over because after the week we had, we needed to keep it simple. These friends are so fun and we are so thankful for each of them. They have been so kind and patient as we have learned (are learning) their language and culture and have been such a blessing and encouragement to us. It only seemed fitting that they would be around our table on Thanksgiving day. We had a blast and having them here made the ache of being away from family so much better.
On Friday evening, we hopped in the car and drove a few hours to enjoy a whole weekend of being thankful with our wonderful team. A lot of our team are currently stateside, so we are looking a little small this year. We missed them so much, but we are so thankful they got to be in the land of family and canned pumpkin this year. We LOVE our team. I am so thankful for them! So SO thankful!
And our kids got to hang out with some of their favorites. They were zoned out in front of a Dude Perfect video in this picture, but they didn't stay this way for long.
The boys had a blast and Kate, the only girl this year, got lost in a book. She certainly wasn't complaining. (In this picture, she had literally fallen asleep in her book. Ha.)
And the kids got to do a little ice skating. So fun!
There was lots of laughter, delicious food, late nights, good deep talks and more laughter. Y'all these people... they get it. They know the stressors of living in another country far from home. They know the pain of not being with blood relatives on a very family-centered holiday. They share a deep love and compassion for the nation that we now call home and the people among whom we live. They understand. And I am so thankful for weekends with them. They challenge me, spur me on, encourage me, affirm me in my call, cheer for me, pray with me and for me, bear my burdens, and say, without words, "You are not alone." They are a precious gift. Did I mention I love our team?!
We truly have so much to be thankful for. And while I was ready to cancel Thanksgiving all together a week ago, I am so glad that I didn't. I am so glad that He put friends around our table, food in our bellies and His Word dwelling deeply in our hearts to remind us that in this world, we will (DO) have trouble, but He has overcome the world. His grace is sufficient. He is enough. And if that's all there was, if I had nothing else, I would have all I needed and my heart would be full.
I hope you and yours had a very happy Thanksgiving weekend!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment