The other day I was walking through town on a rainy day and I thought, "Ewk. What an awful day." Looking down under my umbrella, I saw the ground littered with trash, dodged the giant puddles of mud that laced the sidewalk, and felt the cold wind that blew on my neck giving me a shiver. I was disgusted with the conditions around me. I wanted to get out of the rain as soon as possible. I wanted to be warm and dry.
The very next day I was out on that very same path to and from my destination, but this time, the sun was shining so bright. It was so warm and beautiful. I saw green GREEN grass. I noticed the deep blue color of the lake and how the rays of the sun just seemed to be dancing with its flow. I noticed the big mountain in the background of the city, still topped with snow with little patches of green grass scattered throughout its face. I thanked my Creator for all of His beautiful, colorful artwork, and then, He reminded me that those things hadn't changed from hideous to beautiful in 24 hours. The sun had been there the day before. I just wasn't looking for the sun. I wasn't looking at my path through its light. I didn't notice the green grass because I was so frustrated with dodging puddles and trying not to get splashed by the passing cars. I didn't notice the blue lake under the gray sky. I didn't look up from under my umbrella to see the beautiful mountain. It took the unclouded sun to shine its light on those dark things for me to see them in all of their beauty.
The Lord used this to point out that I far too often focus on the puddles of mud and forget to look up and see that what He is doing is still beautiful even though I may have to search for the beauty. I only need to see the view through His eyes while pushing away the things of the world. I need to have His perspective--to let Him shine His light in my life.
Colossians 3:1-4 says, "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory."
So whatever path God has me on, even if it seems grim, it is beautiful because of the cross and resurrection. It is beautiful because my life is hidden in Him who redeemed me. It is beautiful because He is MY LIFE, and in Him I have hope for something I have yet to fully comprehend. It is beautiful because of the SON.
No comments:
Post a Comment