Friday, August 13, 2010

Teeny Tiny

Have you ever felt small??? I'm talking, teeny tiny. Maybe when you sat on top of a mountain and looked over the valley? Or maybe when you sat on the beach and looked out at the ocean as it fell into the horizon? I have been feeling really small lately. Little biddy. I am no small woman, I am above average in height and well, let's just say my cheek bones don't protrude out of my face like that of a super skinny super model. I often feel like I am ginormous. But in the grand scheme of things I am tiny. I have been utterly amazed at even the fact that the car that I drive down the road, that I have semi-control over (emphasis on "semi" I'm not so good at driving-- at least not here), is bigger than I am. Amazing! Perhaps you are thinking that I have been living in the climax of a blond joke for most of my life. "Don't you know you are smaller than most visible things in this universe? Duh." Although, I did, in fact, catch onto this fact quite sometime ago--most obviously in trying to follow my long-legged beast of a back-packer and rock-climber husband up one of those giant mountains. With every pant of breath and every POUND of my heart, I thought, people aren't supposed to climb these things unless God sends them up one to... bring down the ten commandments.

And yet, as tiny as you and I are when we look out over the world from the top of the Grand Canyon, or the Empire State Building or better yet, an airplane, we are created in the image of the everlasting God. The God in which we live and move and have our being. The God that breathed life into us and continues to sustain us. And not only that, but He became tiny man. The one who formed the mountains and breathed out stars from His mouth became a tiny little baby. He let those whom He had created spit on him and fashion a cross out of a tree that He had planted, and then He let them nail Him to it on top of a hill that He formed. He gave up His life becoming sin so that we might be the righteousness of God. That is no tiny thing. That is no small gift of love. So as small as I feel when I look out over Lake Ohrid, I can remember that "neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." There is no God like my God.

2 comments:

lindsey said...

so well put! i'm always so thankful that God is bigger than anything we could ask or imagine, and bigger than ourselves. i feel that way near the ocean too. it truly blows my mind to think of the God of the universe, my creator, to have any interest in me as a person, and to love me the way He does :)

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this! You really should get paid to write! I love you and I'm so proud of you!

Elley