For Thanksgiving this year, we decided to invite some new friends to celebrate with us. We invited some families that we have met from Kate's school. We had a wonderful time! It is always fun introducing the nationals to one very American holiday full of very American food. I prepared for 4 days in advance and tried to include all of the traditional Thanksgiving foods minus the cranberry sauce (no cranberries here). The stars of the menu were the turkey (which we found last minute), green bean casserole and walnut tarts (my MIL's recipe--AMAZING!)
Look at that little turkey (the one on the table). It was basically a large chicken, but thankfully, it was enough to feed everyone.
I am SO thankful for this man! I could not have done any of this without him. He helped me clean, helped keep the kids occupied while I cooked, prayed for me and over me while I prepared, and carried the conversation at the table. He shared all about the history of the holiday and made Jesus and His love for us the center of it all. He proclaimed the truth of our Heavenly Father being the giver of every good and perfect gift. I love his passion for the Lord, his headship of our home, and his love for his "neighbor."
The kids were all about the mashed potatoes. Familiarity. I am also thankful for all of these kids and their friendship to my Kate.
Y'all, I was exhausted! I don't know why I was thinking I could host 9 adults and 9 children for lunch plus 9 more people for dinner on one day…by myself… with three little ones underfoot.
We had a small break between our lunch and dinner crowd, and we were able to call our family in America, which was really hard for me this year. I missed them SO much. Normally, I am so busy and occupied with the nationals in our home, that I don't have time to feel nostalgic, but this year I just had to have a good cry over not being with our family. After 7 years, it is still hard. We still have to die daily to our flesh, our will. The cross is still heavy. Some days it is heavier than others. On this particular day, it was painfully heavy. I am thankful that my Jesus bore the full burden, that He died so that in Him the burden is light, that, through Him, I can cast all my cares on my Father, who loves me with an everlasting love, who walks with me, who carries me and who sets my feet on the solid rock. I am thankful that His Spirit indwells me and is my comforter. I am thankful that He gave me a holy calling to proclaim the good news to the nations. I am thankful that He is doing things in the hearts of the people around us, and He lets me be a part of it. I am so thankful that He is always and forever full of love and mercy, that He is forever faithful.
One of the ways the Lord has provided for our family and comforted me was giving us an awesome team with whom we can celebrate. Friday afternoon, we headed to Prilep for Thanksgiving with our team that is scattered around the country. It is always so fun. We enjoyed another amazingly delicious meal that we all helped prepare. Our kids played with their 'mk cousins' and got loved on by their "aunts and uncles."
There was football, yummy food, great conversation, and a beautiful snowfall. It was magical. :)
I am SO thankful for these precious people. I love them like family and am so blessed to get to share the holidays with them.




2 comments:
Love this!!! Your love and devotion to Christ is so evident. Wish i could have been there to help you but just know I am praying for you from a distance. Miss you guys so much!!
I so much enjoyed reading about what is going on in your world. As a friend of Jeff's and fellow Christian I just wanted to let you know that you are making a difference and that I am praying for you and your family weekly and that our sunday school class is keeping you and your family in our prayers as well. Pls continue to let us know how things are going. All our love in Christ, Rick Lowder (North Albemarle Baptist Church)
Post a Comment