Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas!!!

As I write this, we are only 2 sleeps until Christmas Day. Kate is coloring in her Christmas coloring book. Thomas is passed out on the couch--still recovering from the big Christmas party with our team yesterday. There is a Christmas movie on the tv and the lights are twinkling on the tree.  Our kids are so excited. They love standing at our tree watching the lights twinkle. Thomas loves diving into the mound of presents sitting at the bottom of the tree (the presents from both sets of grandparents arrived!!!! Thank you, Mr. Postman! (and thank you, grandparents!)). 
Decking the halls

Isus = Jesus in Macedonia. 
I've been reading this Advent devotion by John Piper, and it has been so good. Even though we are nearing the end of the season, I would highly recommend downloading it (it's free!) and going through it. We've been reading through the Jesus Storybook Bible with the kids along with reading the some scripture every night that tells the story of Christmas.  It is so fun to tell the story over and over again to the kids.  One of the great things about raising them outside of the states is that most of the materialized version of Christmas is weeded out. They still get uber-excited about the gifts under the tree, but it is so much easier to turn their focus to the coming King, to Jesus who came to be our savior, to the manger and those who came to worship the baby sleeping in it.  I love that about living here!
Gingerbread houses! 

Brian can't do anything small. ;)
Christmas pjs in front of the tree.  
I LOVE Christmas pjs!

This season has been hard this year. I have been aching for our families in the states. I have asked myself several times if it is worth it. I have mourned the loss of my kids seeing their grandparents and playing with their cousins.  I have longed to worship with our church in RDU (maybe the greatest church ever ;)). I have wanted to sit down with my best friend who recently became a mommy, hold her beautiful baby boy, and hear all about her new life.  I have been… homesick.  I wasn't prepared for it.  We've been here for almost 8 years.  This feeling should be long gone by now, and yet, it lingers still. The Lord used one key paragraph from a note from the president of our organization to remind me that it is ALL worth it! He said, 

"But a look at the nativity scene serves to remind us that EVERYONE in it, (including the out-of-time-and-place trio from the East) has a good reason to be homesick. Not one of them was "at home." But neither is anyone among them depicted as being sad! I think that is because each of them was serving a larger purpose in the Father's great plan...and so are you!

It is all about King Jesus who came as a lowly baby, born to a peasant girl, to become "the servant and the lamb, both priest and sacrifice. He is the Prophet, King and Coming Son of Man. He is the Christ." His birth brought good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people. He brought peace on earth.  But there is no joy and no peace for the people who haven't heard. So for me, there is great joy in getting to tell the greatest love story in history to the nations. There is joy in abiding in Him wherever He has me. There is peace resting in Him, waiting on Him to move, just knowing Him.  He is Emmanuel, God with me, and He is enough!  

Thank you so much for praying for us this year and through this season. We are so grateful for you, and we hope and pray that each of you will have a very Merry Christmas. Wherever you are, whomever you are with, Jesus is there, God with you.  His life brings new life, joy, peace, hope and so. much. more!!!  Give Him all your worship and adoration this season and this year. 

Merry Christmas!

No comments: