Have I ever mentioned how beautiful I think Ohrid is?! People, this has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth, and it is so unknown to most of the world. It's sad really. The history, beauty and quaintness of this town create an atmosphere in which one can just slow down, take in the sights and sounds and take it easy. After six years here, I still love watching four old men sit on one park bench while their wives sit on the one across the park as they all talk about life, politics, and grandkids. I still love seeing the fishermen staked out at the end of the quay waiting for the catch of the day to come. The tall grass reeds that sit in front of them provide a truly tranquil environment as they wait for the first bite. I still love the view of the old town, and I still love to wonder how life must have been back in the day when the fortress was utilized as their refuge. I still love walking the cobblestone streets (though it is seriously not as fun pushing a stroller). I love passing the people who have lived here their whole entire lives and who have seen things that I can only read about in history books. I still love sitting at coffee and talking for hours as I look out over the beauty all around me. I still love when random parades appear in the middle of the walking street. I love this town. I love its people. I count it a privilege to live here and raise my beautiful children here. I am beyond blessed that God has chosen to plant us here for this time in this place.
People (Macedonians and Americans alike) continually ask me, "How long have you been here and when are you leaving?" I like that I can say, "I have been here 6 years, and I am planning on staying for many more years to come unless God says otherwise." Most people respond with, "Wow, you must really like it here. Most of us want to leave and go to your country, and you want to stay?!" I do love it here, but I love my Heavenly Father more. I will stay or go in accordance with His plan for me. And while He has me here, I plan to dig in deep, to love hard, to serve passionately and to share boldly to the glory of God our Father.


8 comments:
And I would agree with you--Ohrid is beautiful!
Kathy
Hello,
I didn't see an email address on your blog, so I am posting this response. My name is Caleb Petrie, right now I live in Alabama, but I interviewed for a job in Ohrid and am considering a move there. I was interested in asking you some questions. I found your blog by googling macedonia, baptist, etc. I spent a summer with IMB in that area of the world, so I think I may know at least one person you know.
You can email me at chewb101@gmail.com
Hi,
My name is Caleb Petrie. I might be moving to Ohrid, and I found your blog via google. I spent some time in that area of the world with IMB last summer. I would like to ask you some questions, but didn't see any email to contact you. My email is chewb101@gmail.com . Thanks,
Caleb
Hi,
My name is Caleb Petrie. I might be moving to Ohrid, and I found your blog via google. I spent some time in that area of the world with IMB last summer. I would like to ask you some questions, but didn't see any email to contact you. My email is chewb101@gmail.com . Thanks,
Caleb
Hello,
I tried to leave a post, but I don't see it, so I am trying again!
My name is Caleb Petrie, I might be moving to Ohrid. I found your blog via google and one of your teammates blogs. I was in that area of the world last summer with IMB. I'm trying to see if I can connect with any group of believers before I move. My email is chewb101@gmail.com. Thanks,
Caleb
Hello,
I tried to leave a post earlier, but I think my internet settings messed things up.
I found your blog via google and a teammates blog. I may be moving to Ohrid to take a job there. I spent last summer not too far away with the IMB, so I may know at least one person you do. I'm trying to find others to connect with, and would love to ask you some questions!
My email is chewb101@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Caleb
Hello,
I may be moving to Ohrid to take a job. I worked with IMB last summer in that region of the world. My email is chewb101@gmail.com, and I'd love to ask you some questions! Thanks.
Caleb
Hello,
I may be taking a job in Ohrid, so I searched the web and found your blog. I worked with the IMB for a summer in that region of the world, so we may know someone in common. I'd like to ask you some questions, but I didn't see a contact email on your blog.
You can reach me at chewb101@gmail.com
Thanks!
Post a Comment