We went through all the hoops at the hospital to check on the status labor, and while I was having contractions and would be considered "officially in labor," the doctor said it would be a while and gave me the option of leaving and coming back once things picked up a bit more. I was all about hanging at the hospital for the day, but we found out that Thomas was sick... still sick. So we decided since it was the fourth day in a row of him not feeling well and it only seemed like he was getting worse, we would leave the hospital take him to the doctor and maybe by that time, it would be time to meet Isaiah.
We picked up a very lethargic, very sick little boy from grandma and grandpa's and hurried to the pediatrician. I sat in the backseat with him and caught the throw up in a bag while having contractions. I kind of laughed and muttered to Brian, "This is Thomas and Isaiah's first fight for mommy's attention." Little did I know, this was going to be the norm of the day.
The pediatrician saw us immediately and kind of freaked out a little when they heard I was in labor. "We don't deliver babies here. I mean, we can, but we don't want to have to." Well, people what do you want me to do??? The doctor was very concerned about Thomas and threw out a whole list of things that could be wrong, including spinal meningitis. She said we needed to go straight to WakeMed Children's Emergency for a long line of tests and to start fluids. Things just got (even more) serious. She assured me that they do deliver babies at WakeMed (my hospital and OB were at the hospital on the other side of Raleigh), so we should be ok.
We got back in the car. I was in pain and on the edge of tears. Brian was making that face, that face I have only seen him make a few times in our marriage. It says, "I don't understand. Why? How? I can make sense of most everything, but not this." Our little wild man was sick... really sick, and we were scared.
On the way to the hospital, I reassumed my position of catching throw up and breathing through contractions. It took forever to get there. Once there, they hurried us back and started fluids. They put us in a secure room to keep the other patients safe in case it was, in fact, meningitis.
We talked Thomas through getting his IV put in and prayed that God would heal his little body and work everything for His glory. Our little guy was brave and the littlest guy was still knocking on mommy's door. Somebody needed a time out.
After the CAT scan, spinal tap and a visit from a few different really great doctors, we were told we would be spending the night at WakeMed. Thomas was a little drunk from his spinal tap (praise the Lord they sedated him) and made his mommy laugh which was a gift delivered at exactly the right time. Isaiah was still vying for mommy's attention and was not backing down.
The Lord sent special friends to sit with us during this experience, and thanks to the gift of instant message, a whole slew of people were praying. The nurse commented to a friend that I had been so strong through the day. While I did have a couple of melt-downs, I attribute the strength only to those of you who prayed us through this. God was faithful to answer your prayers. Thank you!
I went up to labor and delivery triage two times at WakeMed (leaving sweet scared Thomas with people who loved him dearly) and was told that it was still too early. "Come back in a few hours..." Ok, people I have had two kids, I know what this is supposed to feel like. I am having this baby today. But they insisted, I was probably 'just tired' or 'under too much stress.' I was tired. I was under a lot of stress, but I was also HAVING A BABY!!!!
My parents had arrived to stay the night with Thomas while Brian and I had a baby. But we ended up sending them to a hotel since we were told I wasn't progressing. About an hour after they left the hospital, things got ugly. We got Thomas to sleep and Isaiah cranked into high gear. I tried to go to bed. I was going on about 3 hours of sleep. I was exhausted in every way possible, but the little guy decided mommy wasn't getting any sleep tonight. Thomas had his day, and now it was his turn to have mommy's undivided attention!
Mom and dad headed back to the hospital. Brian grabbed the bags, and Thomas' nurse wheeled me back up to labor and delivery triage. The same security guard who had seen us go in and out two other times didn't ask any questions this time, he just pushed the button and opened the door. Once through the doors, my previous triage nurse said, "Now, that's a different lady. That's a lady in labor." I was in labor two hours ago, but now I have past the point of niceties. It may be best if you don't talk anymore, lady."
So while our sick little Thomas received iv fluids through the night with Granna and Poppa by his side, Isaiah won his mommy's attention and her heart as he entered the world.
I don't know who won the fight for my attention that day. I think Isaiah may have taken the high road and given into his brother. But if this is a sign of things to come, I am going to be sending lots more text messages for prayer and I am going to need lots of special friends beside me helping me through the days of raising these two boys. :)
We are so grateful to all of you who prayed, sent notes, offered to bring coffee and food, and came to love on us. It was a rough day, but the grace of the Father was sufficient, just like always. He carried us through that day. The bright bright silver lining is that Thomas is back to himself, going 150% at everything he does (his father's child), and his blood tests, spinal tap and CAT scan all conclude that he is one healthy boy who now has a healthy happy little brother, Isaiah Hunter. To God be the glory! Great things He has done!
1 comment:
Mandy I just wanted to say thank you for being such an example of the gospel in action to me. It stuck with me what you said about a kiddo regularly waking up early being a chance to die to self, and now to read that you prayed for God's glory over sick little Thomas. I can relate with you about a crazy 3rd birth story & walking around all day not in labor but not "real" labor! so glad baby Isaiah is here & everyone is well. Kenna still asks if Kate & Thomas can come play again- we'll have to get together again while you're in the us :)
Post a Comment